Craft beers have achieved much popularity in New Zealand over the past decade with small (and not-so-small) brewers taking on the big national breweries.
As a result, New Zealand beer drinkers now have more choice and are clearly developing tastes for styles of beer previously regarded as niche or obscure.
This is reflected in the growing support for beer styles such as stout, pale ales and porters.
The ratebeer.com website has charts listing the most popular beers brewed in New Zealand, listing them by ranking, score and style. The scores are weighted means, giving improved ratings for those that receive the most reviews by tasters.
Top 20 beers brewed in New Zealand
1. 8 Wired iStout (Imperial Stout)
2. Liberty Citra Double IPA (Imperial IPA)
3. Epic Lupulingus (Imperial IPA)
4. Epic Hop Zombie (Imperial IPA)
5. 8 Wired Batch (Imperial Stout)
6. Kereru Imperial Nibs (Imperial Porter)
7. Canhead Hardtail Henry Oaked Stout (Imperial Stout)
8. Panhead Black Sabbath (Barley Wine)
9. Tuatara Double Trouble (Imperial IPA)
10. 8 Wired HopWired IPA (India Pale Ale)
11. Tuatara Tu-Rye-Ay Midnight Rye IPA (Black IPA)
12. Liberty Yakima Monster (American Pale Ale)
13. 8 Wired Le Fut Flanders Red Ale (Sour Red/Brown)
14. 8 Wired Superconductor (Imperial IPA)
15. Epic / Fork & Brewer / Hallertau / Liberty Four Horsemen Of The Hopocalypse (Imperial IPA)
16. Garage Project Cabbages and Kings (Imperial Stout)
17. 8 Wired Black Wired Black IPA (Black IPA)
18. Garage Project Death From Above (India Pale Ale)
19. 8 Wired Bumaye (Imperial Stout)
20. Emerson’s Bird Dog IPA (India Pale Ale)
Source: Ratebeer.com, January 2017